Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Intrepid



A wonderful day for the family with Peanut, Button, Daddy and I on an adventure to see USS Intrepid. The magnificent ship had recently been renovated and the boys were exceedingly excited to see it all. Driving in was easy, parking expensive and the line was not very long (about 10 minutes). We began with the exhibits inside...a wonderful collection of planes, helicopters and related stuff, including a rocking row boat and mock bunks which we all took turns in.

Turing around the inside hanger, Daddy detailed each exhibit to the enthralled boys..I was very impressed b his knowledge and their focus. They 'flew' a helicopter and also sat in a mock space shuttle pod (the real one was hanging on display outside).

The 4D roller coaster ride was amazing...everyone loved the 5 minutes of jolting, bumping and general feeling of loosing their stomachs.

We then toured the decks and saw the big guns -both boy sat in the gunners seat; the bridge..both boys sat in the Captains chair (complete with captain's mug next to it) and say the huge difference between the officers births and the bunks where the sailors slept. I have no idea how they loves on these ships for months at a time!!!

Walking along the upper deck was fun. We saw aircraft from different eras; some had tigers painted on them, we saw the stealth plane ...very creepy - all black - no personality! I enjoyed seeing the Harrier Jump Jet...it amazes me still.

Button was too young for the submarine but we did get to see my all-time favorite plane...Concord. Sitting beautifully near the water, shining and so new-looking, we got to walk beneath her and then go into her. I was ecstatic..Daddy was unimpressed (too small) and the boys were unsure how to feel, I thing as I had built it up so much in my delight at going to see her. Peanut and Button both sat in the jump seats...I wish I had. Highlight for me!!!

Having been used to trips into the NYC with Nana, spending all day and seeing a crazy amount of sights, I had to laugh when, after the gift shop (of course) and exiting, Button was horrified to discover we were just going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment